The High Maintenance Gender

The deeper my transition goes and the more experience I gain navigating the world as a transgender woman, a quote a woman told me years ago rings true: "We (women) are the high maintenance gender".

How true.  Every once in a while I  flashback to my cross dressing "princess" days. My wife told me "Guess what Princess, being a woman is so much more than heels, hose and a pretty dress." How much more? This question popped up in my email box this morning which pretty much said it all. . It read: " Cyrsti, What Do You Wear When No One Else Sees You?"

Hmmmn, when I tree falls alone in the woods and no one is there, does it still make a noise?

Actually, the question came from Ginger Burr and The Total Image Consultant site I subscribe to and did take the maintenance question to a different level, read on:

"If you're someone who works out of your home, or a busy mom whose days are filled with errands and car pools, finding your personal style and a wardrobe that makes your heart sing is just as important as for those in "corporate life." It really doesn't take any more time to dress in something you love that looks great on you than it does to throw on yoga pants and a t-shirt."

Really? I am pretty sure quite a few of the females I saw today and everyday missed the idea totally. On the other hand I understand the concept and always have worked on refining my inner style.

Certainly being a woman is high maintenance and many females miss the mark. Being a transgender woman often is higher maintenance and when we miss the mark, the world knows and there could be hell to pay.

By the way, I don't think the person who didn't see me cared what I was wearing when they didn't hear the tree in the woods!

Comments