Earlier in the week we did have a conversation here in Cyrsti's Condo about the power of a mirror-good and bad. Face it, if you want to do the girl thing, you have to have some sort of intimate relationship with your mirror. Of course, if you let it-it will lie to you. On the other hand the mirror is a necessary and even fun part of being a cross dresser and/or transgender woman.
For what it's worth-here are my basics, before I get to the mirror.
- First, who are you dressing for? I dress for women and to "blend". What will the majority of generics be wearing where I am going.
- Secondly, I consider if I can afford the fashions I'm looking at. Normally no, but I have developed a very good system of "value/discount" shopping.
- Then, I have to consider if the fashion would look good on my body type at all, or if I would ever wear it. For example, I may love a pair of business professional slacks or blazer but would never wear it.
- Plus, can I find items in my size. I can't diet enough to wear many of the trends I see on pencil thin young models but I can adapt a variation. A good source for me has been the "Fabulous after 40" fashion site.
- Finally, I try to maintain a basic wardrobe of seasonal "classics" which aren't likely to change before I can wear them out from use.