Transgender Christians?

I promise I am going to begin to pull back from the Leelah Alcorn story.   In the meantime, I urge you all to check out the comments to the Cyrsti's Condo recent posts on the subject.

I know many of you are deeply religious and transgender...Christian (Paula), Muslim, Hindu or whatever.  Unfortunately, no major religion has a corner on LGBTQ cruelty.  It's just in my life and environment is based in Christianity, so I carry an extra bias.  Too many times, as a transgender woman, I have been condemned to hell by a "loving and caring" Christian person. And surely don't get me started on my view of the Catholics.

The problem is not the religion, it's the people. Scarier yet are the readers I have heard from are fairly sure Leelah's suicide will drive the fundamentalist Christians further into their "bunker mentalities."

Plus, already here in Cincinnati, I heard a news story this morning about an upcoming vigil for Leelah Alcorn on the number one morning news show.  The station used her correct feminine name but that was it.  The writer of the story was a master of not using pronouns or the transgender word as I didn't hear either.

It's unfortunate religion of any type should be the main source of LGBTQ bigotry- then again it's not the religion-it's the humans.

Comments