What's in a Name?

Yesterday I went to the bank I have literally been with since my youth (my Dad worked there). 

As mergers and acquisitions would have it, when I moved to the Cincinnati area, I discovered one of the banks new branches less than a mile away.

I was going to tie up loose ends in my gender marker journey and getting my new name put on my accounts. It went well after the poor teller figured out I didn't have any changes to my social security number (goddess forbid.)

On the way home and after I thought a bit more about my upcoming colonoscopy and the future "indignities" of it, I began to consider the benefits of choosing an androgynous name.

Regardless of my name, all my gender markers now read "female" but of course I still have all my male "bits" and probably a full "c" in the breast department, Oh yes, let's not forget my hair which is starting to feel the effects of my return engagement with estrogen, and starting to grow again.

Being health professionals, I am sure I will be treated with respect but I'm betting I will provide more than a little conversation after the procedure.

Then again, does it all have to be all about me?

Comments