Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Football Bigot?

From Connie:

"I guess I'm a football bigot. I just assumed she played American football until I got half-way through the post, only to find that she played soccer. So, is she paying forward or is she playing forward? Maybe both, I suppose. :-)

Cultures that recognize a third gender are few and far between, and although it is certainly worthwhile to educate the rest of the world that a third gender is recognized somewhere else. However, I have doubts that general worldwide acceptance will come about through a third gender view of trans people. The major religions would have to subscribe to it first, I think. Governments may be more apt to move toward the notion, but, as we can see in the US now, there is volatility on that front. I do find it interesting that she spoke in North Carolina, though."
More work needs to be done on recognizing the ancient Native American Indian cultures who also accepted a "third gender". In fact, some recognized a "dual or two spirited" person to be very special.

Two-Spirited Marchers San Francisco Pride 2014

It's unfortunate the major religions you write of have lost that path of thought. What an easier life we would have as transgender women and trans men.
Also, moving too far out of the traditional gender binaries for many seems to be too difficult to grasp somehow, along with other facets of modern society. Thus returning to a simplistic religious belief mechanism, among other things.

2 comments:

  1. The two spirit as I understand it gives us credit for being on the gender divide and having understanding of both. Actually, many tribes had as many as four genders.
    Most certainly there has to be some sort of binary for the human race to operate. The key is to accept those who don't fall into strict male/female binaries and try to drive a round peg into a square hole.
    There are many days when I consider myself more of a gender fluid person. How great would it have been to be accepted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Peg. Why did you have to drag her into it? :-)

    I'm not fluid. I seem to have found myself frozen, sliding toward different parts of the scale at different times in my life. I guess you can call me "The Ice Queen" now! :-)

    ReplyDelete

A Life in Gender Flux